Principles of Marketing Syllabus
B.Com 5th Sem Gauhati University
COM-DSE-RC-5016(B): PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING
Marks: 100 Credit: 6 Lectures: 65
Objective: The objective of this course is to provide basic knowledge of concepts, principles, tools and techniques of marketing.
Unit 1: Introduction: 13 Lectures
Nature, scope and importance of marketing; Evolution of marketing; Selling vs Marketing; Marketing mix, Marketing environment: concept, importance, and components (Economic, Demographic, Technological, Natural, Socio-Cultural and Legal).
Unit 2: Consumer behaviour and market segmentation 13 Lectures
Consumer Behaviour: Nature and Importance, Consumer buying decision process; Factors influencing consumer buying behaviour.
Market segmentation: concept, importance and bases; Target market selection; Positioning concept, importance and bases; Product differentiation vs. market segmentation.
Unit 3: Product: 13 Lectures
Concept and importance, Product classifications; Concept of product mix; Branding, packaging and labeling; Product-Support Services; Product life-cycle; New Product Development Process; Consumer adoption process.
Unit 4: Pricing, Distribution Channels and Physical Distribution 13 Lectures
Pricing: Significance. Factors affecting price of a product. Pricing policies and strategies.
Distribution Channels and Physical Distribution: Channels of distribution – meaning and importance; Types of distribution channels; Functions of middle man; Factors affecting choice of distribution channel; Wholesaling and retailing; Types of Retailers; e-tailing, Physical Distribution.
Unit 5: Promotion 13 Lectures
Promotion: Nature and importance of promotion; Communication process; Types of promotion: advertising, personal selling, public relations & sales promotion, and their distinctive characteristics; Promotion mix and factors affecting promotion mix decisions;
Recent developments in marketing: Social Marketing, online marketing, direct marketing, services marketing, green marketing, Rural marketing; Consumerism
1. Kotler, Philip, Gary Armstrong, Prafulla Agnihotri and Ehsanul Haque. Principles of Marketing. 13th edition. Pearson Education.
2. Michael, J. Etzel, Bruce J. Walker, William J Stanton and Ajay Pandit. Marketing: Concepts and Cases. (Special Indian Edition)., McGraw Hill Education
3. William D. Perreault, and McCarthy, E. Jerome., Basic Marketing. Pearson Education.
4. Majaro, Simon. The Essence of Marketing. Pearson Education, New Delhi.
5. The Consumer Protection Act 1986.
6. Iacobucci and Kapoor, Marketing Management: A South Asian Perspective. Cengage Learning.
7. Dhruv Grewal and Michael Levy, Marketing, McGraw Hill Education.
8. Chhabra, T.N., and S. K. Grover. Marketing Management. Fourth Edition. Dhanpat Rai & Company.
9. Neeru Kapoor, Principles of Marketing, PHI Learning
10. Rajendra Maheshwari, Principles of Marketing, International Book House