This Operating system MCQ help you to gain an extra and fast knowledge. Operating systems are the backbone of any device. They are responsible for managing the hardware and software on a device. These operating systems are designed to support the needs of different users, for example, by making it easy to switch between open apps.
Multiple Choice Questions and Answers
1. Operating System can be defined as
- collection of programs that manages hardware resources
- interface between the hardware and application programs
- system service provider to the application programs
- all of the above
Answer :- all of the above
2. BIOS (basic input output system) is used by ?
- Operating system
- Application software
Answer :- operating system
3.The command interpreter can also be called as
Answer :- kernel
4. In which language does Unix is written
Answer :- C
5. What is the systematic process of moving the CPU to a new process called?
- Context Switching
Answer :- Context Switching
6. An operating system is an interface that provides services to ______________
- both the user and the program
- the user
- the program
- none of the above
Answer :- both the user and the program
7. In which year does linux launched its operating system
Answer :- 1991
8. What types of services are not provided by the operating system?
- Process management
- Device management
- People management
- Memory management
Answer :- People management
9. Based on the implementation of threads, operating system classify threads in:
- OS and CPU level
- Kernel and User level
- Mainframe and Motherboard level
- Security and Memory level
Answer :- Kernel and User level
10. Linux is which type of operating system
- Real time Operating System
- Batch processing operating system
- single user operating system
- Multi user operating system
Answer :- Multi user operating system
11. Which of the following is considered as the heart of the operating system that provides the basic foundation, memory management file system and program execution?
Answer :- Kernel
12. In which Year the first Operating System was developed?
Answer :- 1950
13. Real Time Operating System is an example of a __________?
- Window 10
- Window 7
- Process control
- MS – DOC
Answer :- Process control
14. Which operating System does not support multitasking?
- Window XP
- Window 98
- MS DOS
- None of the Above
Answer :- MS DOS
15. My computer was first introduced from which version?
- Window 98
- Window 3.1
- Window 95
- Window 3.11
Answer :- Window 95
16. Which Windows does not support or have Start button?
- Window Vista
- Window 8
- Window 7
- Window 10
Answer :- Window 8
17. Among them, which is not an Example of an Operating System?
Answer :- MS-Access
18. What is modified when changing the system start-up boot sequence ?
- None of he Above
Answer :- BIOS
19. What is the primary job of the operating system is to
- Manage resources
- Provide utilities
- Provide Connection
- Command resources
Answer :- Manage resources
20. Which Services is not supported by the operating system?
- I/O operation
Answer :- Compilation
21. What will be the highest length of the filename in DOS ?
Answer :- 8
22. In which year does the MS-Window operating System get introduced ?
Answer :- 1985
23. Inter-process communication can be define as
- Communication between two process
- Communication between two threads of same process
- Communication within the process
- None of these
Answer :- Communication between two process
24. Which Module give control of the CPU to the process selected by the short-term scheduler ?
- All of these
Answer :- Dispatcher
25. To access the services of operating system the interface is provided by the
- Assembly instructions
- System calls
Answer :- System calls
26. What else is a command interpreter called?
Answer :- shell
27. which of the following is not a function of the linux kernel
- Creating menus in GUI programs
- Allocating memory for use by programs
- Controlling access to the hard drive
- Allocating CPU time for use by programs
Answer :- Creating menus in GUI programs