Management Principles and Applications Question Paper’ 2021 (Held in 2022),
Gauhati University B.Com 3rd Sem CBCS Pattern
4 (SEM-3/CBCS) MPA
2021 (Held in 2022)
(Management Principles and Applications)
Full Marks: 80
Time: Three hours
The figures in the margin indicate full marks for the questions.
1. Choose the correct answers from the following: 1×10=10
(a) Who among the following is not regarded as a thinker of the classical school of management?
(1) Henry Fayol.
(2) Max Weber.
(3) F. W. Taylor.
(4) A. H. Maslow.
(b) M.B.O. (Management by Objective) is also known as:
(1) MBE (Management by Exception).
(2) Management by Results.
(3) Management of Change.
(4) Professional Management.
(c) Organisation chart shows:
(1) Communication channel.
(2) Leadership styles.
(3) Structure of relationship.
(4) Span of control.
(d) Workers’ participation in management is best achieved with which of the following leadership styles?
(1) Laissez-faire style.
(2) Democratic type.
(3) Autocratic type.
(4) Contingency type.
(e) The exception principle to control means:
(1) Control over all deviations.
(2) Control over significant deviation.
(3) Control over nominal deviation.
(4) Control over no deviation.
(f) Who advised substitution of functional organisation structure in place of line organisation structure?
(1) Henry Fayol.
(3) F. W. Taylor.
(4) L. A. Allen.
(g) The plan to achieve overall organisational goal is called:
(1) Tactical plan.
(2) Strategic plan.
(3) Standing plan.
(4) Operational plan.
(h) To which theory ‘if’ and ‘then’ approach to management is associated with?
(1) Operational theory.
(2) Systems theory.
(3) Quantitative theory.
(4) Contingency theory.
(i) Which one of the following is not a characteristic of new and dynamic organisation?
(1) Permanent job.
(3) Skill focused manpower needs.
(4) Diverse workforce.
(j) Which of the following aspects of human life may be adversely affected owing to overdependence upon electronic tools?
(1) Personal life.
(2) Family life.
(3) Mental health.
(4) All of the above.
2. Give very short answers to the following questions: 2×5=10
(a) Mention two limitations of Weber’s Bureaucratic Model.
(b) State two major distinctions between Management by Objectives and Traditional Goal Setting Plan.
(c) Mention two principles of delegation of authority.
(d) What do you mean by management by exception?
(e) Give two comparisons between planning and forecasting.
3. Write short answers to the questions given below: (any four) 5×4=20
(a) What are the activities of business as divided by Henry Fayol?
(b) State briefly the process of control in management.
(c) Discuss the importance of leadership in brief.
(d) Discuss the external factors that necessitate change.
(e) What are various barriers of delegation of authority from superiors’ viewpoint?
(f) Explain the principles of sound decision-making.
4. How is Scientific Management approach different from Human relations approach of management? Critically explain. 10
What are the stages of evolution of management thoughts? Discuss the important features of classical theories of management. 5+5=10
5. What are various types of plans? Also state the characteristics of a good plan. 5+5=10
Discuss the process of ‘Management by Objectives’. Also state the merits of Management by Objectives (MBO). 5+5=10
6. Distinguish between delegation and decentralisation. Why and when decentralisation becomes necessary? 5+5=10
What do you mean by span of management? Explain in this connection, the factors that determine ad ideal span of control. 3+7=10
7. How is communication important for effective management performance? Also state the advantages and limitations of informal communication. 5+5=10
Explain the major areas which require managerial control in an undertaking. Also discuss the limitations of control system. 6+4=10