Gauhati University B.Com 1st Sem Question Paper
Investing in Stock Markets Question Paper 2021 (Held in 2022)
OPTION – B (Paper: COM – HG – 1026)
(Investing in Stock Markets)
Full Marks: 80
Time: Three hours
The figures in the margin indicate full marks for the questions.
1. Choose the most suitable option for the following: 1×10=10
(a) An investor can acquire equity shares
(1) From secondary market only.
(2) From through primary market and secondary market.
(3) From money market.
(4) From primary market only.
(b) Stock symbol is also known as ‘Ticker symbol’. (Write whether the statement is true or false)
(c) Who is the regulatory authority of Indian stock market?
(3) Ministry of Finance, GOI.
(d) Liquidity ratio is expressed in
(1) Pure ratio form.
(3) Rate of time.
(4) None of the above.
(e) Order to buy/sell stocks at a specific price or better is called limit order. (Write whether the statement is true or false)
(f) Credit Rating Agencies (CRAs) are one of the participants in India capital market. (Write whether the statements is true or false)
(g) Which of the following features is not associated with the open-ended mutual fund?
(1) It has a fixed maturity period.
(2) The investors can subscribe to their fund at any time.
(3) It provides prompt liquidity to investors.
(4) The investors have an option to redeem their holding at any time.
(h) Initial Public Offer (IPO) is an offering of fresh issue of shares by a listed company. (Write whether the statement is true or false)
(i) CRISIL stands for
(1) Credit Rating Information Services of India limited.
(2) Credit Rating Investment Services of India limited.
(3) Credit Rating Investor Services of India limited.
(4) None of the above.
(j) Who are participants in the derivative market?
(4) All of the above.
2. Answer the following questions in about 50 words each: 2×5=10
a) Give the meaning of equity shares.
b) What is earning per share (EPS)? Explain briefly.
c) Define mutual funds.
d) Give the meaning of price band.
e) What is meant by ‘stock quote’?
Also Read: Gauhati University Investing in Stock Market Question Papers
3. Answer any four questions of the following in about 150 words each: 5×4=20
a) What is meant by a stock exchange? Explain its features.
b) Explain the meaning of cash flow statement.
Describe the importance of NAV for an investor.
c) Give the meaning of bond and explain its characteristics.
d) Explain the procedure of opening Demat and Trading Account through online mode.
e) Distinguish between ‘open ended’ and ‘close ended’ mutual funds.
f) Briefly explain about the participants in derivative market.
Distinguish between futures and forward contracts.
4. Answer the following questions in about 600 words each: 10×4=40
a) Discuss in detail about the functions of securities market. 10
Explain briefly about different types of stock orders and their advantages. 10
b) Who are brokers? Discuss the steps involved in online trading of securities. 2+8=10
Write a detailed note on different types of fund schemes. Also examine their suitability for investors. 6+4=10
c) Who are the major participants in Indian securities market? Explain briefly. 10
What are different types of risks associated with investment? Differentiate between systematic and unsystematic risk. 6+4=10
d) Explain the meaning of derivative instrument and its different forms. Also state the advantages of derivatives. 6+4=10
Write brief notes on the following: 5+5=10
b) Currency derivative.